Tuesday 22 March 2011

Pictured left is Yasmin my eldest fishing at Garnffrwd but more of that later. First I have been busy with Aaron my director and we have filmed a lot of clips for my new Facebook page "Hywel Morgan Fly fishing". They will cover all sorts of topics such as - Salmon rods Spey V Shooting heads, New Airflo 40+, Waders, new Wichwood wader bag and Family fly tying. They will be up soon on FB, my website and You tube. If you have any topics that you want me to film let me know.
After that Yasmin, Debs and myself spent a day on Garnffrwd fishing, well it was practice for me as I was fishing in my first Welsh trial since 2003 for the Welsh Bank fishing team. During the day we found that the fish were either feeding subsurface and by that I mean the top 2ft of water or they were taking off the top so on the morning of the match I set up with 3 rods. One was my banker washing line on an intermediate with 2 Diawls up the cast. Two was my dry set up 9ft 4wt tapered leader with 3ft of fluro on and a olive F fly size 18. Third was a stalking set up 9ft 5wt with fluro on and some of my staking bugs ready to go.
Why does the weather change every day I mean you practice and sort out what you are going to do only for the conditions to totally change. On practice day it was flat calm and sunny on comp day it was cloudy and windy!!!!! Ah well at least the fish did not mind and came out to play. On my first peg I lost my first 3 fish in dries so changed methods to the washing line and landed 2 fish much to my relief I was off and running!!! My highlight of the day was on my second peg after lunch, I got out the dries and as the hooter sounded my dry landed and a fish took the fly " I love it when a plan comes together" I did qualify so I am back in a Welsh team and will be off to Barfinnehy Lake Killarney in Ireland in October.
All in all it was a great competition and I must thank all the controllers who came and helped out and congratulate Jamie the owner on a great venue and great match.

No comments:

Post a Comment