Wednesday 7 July 2010

Last week was interesting to say the least. Monday I had to say goodbye to an old Friend Huw Walters who passed away in hospital and his funeral was on Monday. He would have been so proud of Sophey who spoke at his funeral.
Tuesday I was at Garnffrwd teaching Jeff and it was a tough day with only a few fish caught all day but the weather was hot.
Thursday and Friday I was on the Dee and had a great day with Steve,Steve and Tim who had never fished the river and the river did not disappoint. The best fish was caught on bugs on Dole Isa stretch under the farm. It was a grayling of over 2lb. We also fished the golf course stretch and caught some nice fish.
After this it was off to Rutland to practice for 2 days before the Anglian Water Northern final on Monday. Saturday I was out with Paul Shaw and caught 4 fish in 10 minutes great start to the day but it went down hill very quick with only 5 caught all day.
Sunday I spent the morning in the basin- thanks captain I certainly had the short straw here the wind was strong and I even jammed the drogue in the engine and had to cut it out.
Match day I was drawn with Steve Cullen ( Editor of Total Flyfisher ) and we started in Carrot creek then the peninsular and I managed to get 2 fish. We then went up the North to the transformer where I had my 3rd fish total luck as the fish just swam away with the flies.
Steve then went on dries and pulled it back to 3 all but I finally got one last fish on a midge tip and nymphs. This was after loosing what Steve estimated as a 5lb fish. Its always the big ones that get away.
The team did not do well and for the first time in years the Ospreys will not be in the International final. Congratulations to every team who qualified especially team Vision who were 20lb ahead of everybody. A special mention about Chris Guthery's bag as he caught 8 fish for nearly 30lb all on dries.
Off in the morning to try and catch Bass down Pembrokeshire will let you know how I get on next week

No comments:

Post a Comment